This Week’s News and Notes: Only Two Weeks Left to Submit Scholarship Program Applications
Friday, February 15, 2013
The NATCA Scholarship Program is currently accepting applications for the 2013-2014 academic year. Applications must be postmarked no later than March 1.
- Spouses, children, stepchildren and legally adopted children of active, retired, or deceased NATCA members.
- Two years continuous good standing active union membership prior to submission of application.
- Enrollment into an accredited college or university.?
- For an application, please click HERE.
- Applicants wishing to receive confirmation of receipt of their applications should send a self-addressed stamped postcard along with the application.?
- Applications must be sent to NATCA, 1325 Massachusetts Ave. N.W., Washington, D.C. 20005, Attn: Scholarship Fund.
- A notification letter will be sent to all applicants announcing their approval or denial of scholarship funds by April 30.
- Awards will be based on a lottery system.
- Applicants must qualify for the lottery by submitting an application as well as an essay. The essay must follow the outlined question and contain no more than 500 words.
- The National President and Executive Vice President will judge qualifications for the lottery.
- Please submit an essay of no more than 500 words.
- Please ensure that you send your essay with the completed application; essays sent separately will not be considered.
- In your essay, please describe your career goals and aspirations, and highlight the importance of the union and the labor movement to your family and/or yourself and why you are deserving of a union scholarship.
- Essays must be applicants’ own work.
Merchandise Item of the Week: Golf Shirt
It’s a 100 percent polyester, moisture management-textured “Breeze” golf shirt. Raglan sleeve and four-button narrow fashion placket with self-fabric collar. Embroidered logo on the left chest with optional embroidery for shirt sleeve. Available in men’s or ladies’ style for sizes Small-3XL. Price ranges from $35.00-$39.00. Made in USA.
Click here to see the item and order it on the NATCA Store website.
To view our other products log on to natcastore.com. For assistance, please call 800-266-0895 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Are doctors claiming to be air traffic controllers? No? So why would we, as controllers, think we are doctors?
Too often we think we know what is best when it relates to our medical condition. This is an unnecessary risk that as a NATCA members do not have to take. Union members have access to one of the aero-medical industry’s top group of flight surgeons. Aviation Medicine Advisory Service (AMAS), formerly known as Virtual Flight Surgeons, is available to provide one-on-one counsel regarding your medical certificate and the illnesses that affect that.
This is provided at free of cost and is just one of the many benefits that are available to all NATCA members. If you have questions about this program call 1-866-AEROMED (1-866-237-6633) or visit www.aviationmedicine.com. To see more about this benefit and other great benefits available to NATCA members, visit the benefits section of the NATCA members only website at http://natcamembers.org/benefits.aspx.
Upcoming Retirement Seminars
March 22 - San Diego-North Miramar, Calif. Registration Deadline: March 11
April 12 - Los Angeles. Registration Deadline: March 29
May 6 - Oklahoma City. Registration Deadline: April 22
May 20 - Daytona Beach, Fla. Registration Deadline: May 6
December 11 - Hauppauge/Ronkonkoma, N.Y.
If you wish to register for one of the above referenced seminars, please do so by signing on to the NATCA Portal: http://portal.natca.org.
Please verify the personal information listed for you including email and cell phone number. If any information is incorrect or missing, please correct or add it under the "My Profile" tab.
To register for a seminar, click the "Events" tab. Then click "2013 Retirement Seminars-Membership Registration." Complete the requested information and hit "next." When you come to the screen listing the seminars, click on the box next to the one you wish to attend. Hit "next," verify your requested seminar information and then click on the "done" key. You will receive a confirmation email that your registration was complete.
Spouses and significant others are also invited to attend. Please ensure that you add them to the registration when asked if you will be bringing a guest.
For your guide to “Understanding your NATCA Federal Benefits Package,” please visit this website: http://natca.sharmansite.com/. If you attempt to register for a seminar on this site, it will automatically lead you to the NATCA Portal.
If you have any questions regarding these events, registration process – or would like to have a retirement seminar take place in your area – please contact Sallie Sullivan at NATCA’s National Office by either emailing her at email@example.com or calling 202-220-9803.
Would You Like to Have a NATCA Email Account?
The Information Technology Committee has unveiled a newly designed, easier to use interface for NATCA members' email system, run by Rackspace. In addition, the amount of space on each email account was recently increased from 2GB to 25GB.
Check it out at http://webmail.natca.net.
The new home page offers easy ways to sign in, sign up, ask questions, retrieve a lost password and setup your account with a mobile device. To request an email account, you can also click here.
NATCA offers two different e-mail accounts. You can have a personal e-mail account for yourself and you can have e-mail accounts for your family members.
Personal (member) e-mail accounts are first initial/last firstname.lastname@example.org. The family e-mail accounts have @natcafamily.net.
For questions or assistance, contact the IT Committee at email@example.com.