We Guide You Home

National Airspace Representative/Established on Required Navigation Performance (EoR) 

National Airspace Representative/Established on Required Navigation Performance (EoR)  

Josh Haviland is the Article 114 National Airspace Representative and Article 114 National EoR Representative.  

Background: Required Navigation Performance (RNP) describes an aircraft’s capability to navigate using certain performance standards. When an aircraft is “RNP equipped”, it has the ability to monitor the aircraft’s flight track conformance and alert pilots when area navigation performance that cannot be met. The typical RNP conformance requirement for an RNAV (RNP) instrument approach procedure is 0.3 nautical miles from the centerline of the final approach course.  

Central Service Center (CSC) Performance Based Navigation (PBN)    

Eric Johnson is the Article 114 Representative for CSC PBN.    

Background: PBN Co-Leads are responsible for the oversight of designing, developing, and implementing PBN procedures and/or routes. Using a collaborative work group structure, PBN Co-Leads are also responsible for organizing work group activities and making every effort to reach agreement through a group consensus. Each FAA Service Center is represented by an FAA and NATCA Co-Lead, with the exception of the Eastern Service Center, which has two sets of Co-Leads due to the high demand of PBN resources for ongoing national initiatives.  

The CSA PBN team conducted a finalization meeting for Standard Arrival Routes (STAR)’s and Required Navigation Performance (RNP) approaches at Kansas City (MCI) on 4/28. These changes are driven by the decommissioning of multiple VORs in the Kansas City Area. We also briefed the airport authority on the proposed changes on 5/10. The airport authority has no issues and is looking forward to a modernized system within the MCI Terminal Area. I attended the Aeronautical Charting Meeting from 4/26-4/29. We met with Dallas Fort Worth Tracon (D10) and the Dallas County Airport Authority reference an RNP approach at Dallas Executive Airport (RBD) on 4/29. The group determined that the best course of action would be for a standard RNAV/GPS approach to be developed with new criteria that is available using Track-to-fix (TF) legs. An RNP approach would not be a viable option due to low aircraft equipage and authorization to fly RNP approaches. I attended several meetings hosted by the ESA Co-Leads to brief Atlanta (ATL) VORMON projects with Minnesota ZID (5/4), Memphis (ZME) (5/5), and Houston Center (ZHU) (5/12). CSA PBN attended a meeting hosted by Rockford (RFD) to discuss building a STAR with Chicago Center (ZAU) and Chicago Tracon (C90). PBN is planning a kickoff meeting for this project on 8/18. The facilities are currently working together to develop ideas prior to our PBN meeting. I attended a meeting on 5/11 that the CSA Airspace and Procedures Team hosted for the TCAB district reference Phoenix (PHX). There is a proposed project to amend several procedures at PHX. CSA PBN attended an EoR brief on 5/11 hosted by the Nextgen office reference the upcoming procedure amendments at Houston (IAH) to establish additional EoR procedures. 

I briefed the Omaha (OMA) Airport Authority on 2 new RNAV STAR’s that are being implemented in January of 2022 to mitigate VOR Decoms. The airport has no issue with these procedures. The CSA OSG finally agreed that the SDF project should be worked as a CWG. The meeting scheduled for 5/20 was cancelled and the CSA is working with tech labor to develop a plan forward. The facilities are much happier with this arrangement, although frustrated that the project is taking so long to have and forward movement.  

Eastern Service Center (ESC) PBN   

Joey Tinsley is the Article 114 Representative for ESC PBN.   

The ESC PBN Co-Leads are working on multiple projects to include VORMON, NEC ACR (Northeast Corridor Atlantic Coast Routes), Charleston (CHS) STARs/SIDs, NY Area STARs/SIDs, Philadelphia (PHL) STARs/SIDs, Portland (PWM) STARs and Boston (BOS) Massport.  Our monthly telcons with the Facility POCs on the NEC ACR project continue. Part of the NEC ACR project will be implemented in the fall of 2021 with the remainder being shifted to the fall 2022. Still working with Washington Center (ZDC) on backup training options for a new Super High sector that will be implemented on 9/9/21. Currently ZDC plans to use there Dysim lab to accomplish this training. The remaining T-Routes and STARs phase 1 of the Boston center (ZBW) VORMON project are being published on 6/17/21. We had a telcon with the facilities this week and have one additional telcon planned the week prior to implementation to make sure there are no issues. New York Tracon (N90) has to update routes in there IDS4 system, which was an unexpected task for this change within ZBW. Most of the Atlanta Center (ZTL) VORMON project coordination with adjacent facilities has been completed. We have one more round of meetings with the east side of ZTL coming up to complete the work for phase 2 of this project. The proposed implementation dates are spring/summer of 2022. While updating the STARs into Portland (PWM) for VORMON removals it was realized that PWM has been having flyability issues on the CDOGG STAR. Boston Center (ZBW), Boston Tracon (A90) and PWM are working on a solution to resolve these issues and provide a better product to controllers and industry. To fully complete all the work at PWM, we would need to update all the Approaches, which is well outside our scope of work. The STARs have been designed for the current approaches and can be easily modified once we can update the approaches also. The BOS Massport Block 1 SIDs received the approval from Massport (BOS Community Advisory Committee) and has a proposed implementation date of 12/2/21. Massport has also been working with our team on the Block 2 recommendations. MIT plans to present these Block 2 concepts to the BOS CAC in June.  

Western Service Center (WSC) Performance Based Navigation (PBN)    

Chris Thomas is the Article 114 Representative for WSC PBN.    

The Western Service PBN group has been extremely busy this month as COVID restrictions seem to be easing up a little at facilities. We are currently working on several active projects. Project Graceland – Memphis Center (ZME) VOR MON project kicked off last month in April. We were asked to help Eastern Service Area (ESA) facilitate the workgroup meeting with ZME and surrounding facilities. The meetings were held on April 6, 7, and 8th. We were asked to decommission 4 VORs within ZME’s airspace Dyersburg (DYR), Monticello (MON), Malden (MAW) & Muscle Shoals (MSL). We were successful at the FWG meeting eliminating and replacing the required dependencies associated with these VORs. Coordination and follow-up meetings with certain facilities are still taking place at this time. We are hoping to be complete with all rule-making activities by the end of May. It was identified during the Full Working Group (FWG) meeting that 1  Conventional SID out of St Louis (STL) would need to be amended and CSA PBN Team has taken the IOU to amend this procedure. There are currently 2 conventional STARs out of Memphis (MEM) that need attention. ESA Flight Procedures Team (FPT) has already worked with Memphis Center (ZME) to amend one of the procedures. The one remaining STAR that needs work has been put on hold for now while we search for someone who can help ZME amend this procedure.

Van Nuys (VNY) – We recently held a FWG meeting with Los Angeles Center (ZLA), Southern California Tracon (SCT) and VNY SMEs to address a few issues into VNY.  The meeting was attended by members of the LAWA airport group from Southern California. They had particular interest in one of the SIDs off of KVNY. We were able to amend a portion of the SID to help with their noise concerns, however, we were not able to move the restrictions that they had sought. The Western Pacific Regional Administrator’s office has also been involved with this request and is helping our Team communicate some of the challenges with Los Angelos World Airports LAWA. Alaska – Work continues on the massive T-Route project currently taking place in Alaska. We’ve meet with members of Anchorage Center (ZAN) multiple times working on building new T-Routes for them. We have a follow up meeting scheduled with the FWG to discuss possible comm issues we have identified. That meeting is scheduled for June 17, 2021, as of right now. Palm Springs (PSP) – We have obtained several new requests from air traffic at SCT recently concerning PSP. We are in our initial feasibility stage to determine whether we can provide new procedures for PSP. We are hoping to meet with SCT on this airport soon.  

NorCal Airports – There has been several community concerns surrounding NorCal Airports and their procedures.  We will be working more closely with Oakland Center (ZOA) and Northern California Tacon (NCT) in the coming months to see what can be done if anything to address the noise concerns that have been reported. Finally, we were briefed by Stephanie Harris that the WSA PBN Team would be getting 2 new support specialists to help with administrative support and also a permanent documentarian. This support is long overdue and will provide much needed to the .41 PBN Team. We are hopeful that this support is brought on board as quickly as possible to help with the ramp up in new projects we are receiving.  

Florida Metroplex   

Christian  Karns is the Article 114 Representative for Florida Metroplex.   

Background:  The Florida Metroplex project consist of two projects. One project is tasked with design and implementation of new Q & Y routes to replace existing J-Routes. The second project is the design and implementation of new Standard Terminal Arrivals (STARs) and Standard Instrument Departures. (SIDS) The intent for the STARs and SIDs is to make them Optimized Profile Descents (OPD) and Climb Via.    

April 19th- May 14th. Held facility team Meetings for the following facilities to get weekly status updates. RSW, Tampa (TPA), Miami (ZMA), Orlando (MCO), Fort Lauderdale (FLL), Miami (MIA), Daytona Beach (DAB), West Palm Beach (PBI), Jacksonville (ZJX), Jacksonville Center and Jacksonville (JAX). All are working on Automation and video maps. All training plans are completed. Work Finished on all LOA’s with about 100% complete and sent up to Eastern Service Center for review. 

Went to MITRE Corp for the weeklong Implementation. Implemented 37 new or revised procedures. (2 SIDs, 13 STARs, 11 Approaches,) for Orlando Executive, Orlando International, Palm Beach International and Tampa International airports. Additionally, 11 T-Routes overflying Florida airspace were implemented. As normal for this size of project, there were some internal automation issues, not critical to operations. Temporary solutions effected via inter and intra-facility coordination. Meetings scheduled for week of 4/26/21 to determine automation changes for the following. Automation issues concerning suppression of BAYPO and ENDED SIDS for St Petersburg (PIE) departures in certain PIE/Tampa (TPA) configurations. BAYPO/ENDED automation may also be affecting assignment of CROWD EIGHT routing for PIE/TPA departures. Issues involving TPA scratchpad information. DAB departures tagging to incorrect sectors. TPA RAYZZ STAR issues due to automation interface with NOTAM’ed BLOND (existing) arrival. Automation not assigning ROYES SEVEN (existing procedure) for FIN departure. Now that April Implementation is behind us, we are moving on to Post Implementation for April procedures as well as August 12, 2021, Implementation. Post Implementation is December 2, 2021. May 10-14 for design work. Turn in procedures to FPT on June 1, 2021. August 12, 2021, we will implement 94 procedures, 77 new or amended SID, STAR and SIAPs and 17 procedures that were NOTAM’ed in April. PBI and ZJX have worked through their Ghost Pilot issues. We are still waiting on information from ZMA. The emergency ERAM build to fix the BAYPO and ENDED problem. The issue is when TPA is on a South Op and PIE is on a North Op. The automation was successfully implemented over the weekend. AFS is going to change the .46 criteria to reflect that you can have RNAV off the ground serve multiple airports with an open SID design. We have this situation at FLL and MIA. Briefed Airport Authorities on April 30, 2021. They had No outstanding questions, all seem to be okay with the plan moving forward. Briefed Directors on April 30, 2021. Provided status on April 22, 2021, implementation. Requested support for the upcoming August implementation. No outstanding questions.  Most of the August procedures are at Flight inspection and are being scheduled. The Core Team will hold daily telcons with Facilities and Flight Inspections to ensure smooth flights. Holding initial August TMI discussions with Command Center (ATCSCC) POCs, DDSO, ZJX TMO and ZMA TMO on May 3, 2021, at 11:00.  

 May 3-7 week. ZMA has officially requested help for automation. Most of the August procedures are at Flight inspection and are being scheduled. The plan now is to start flying May 23, 2021, through May 27, 2021, with the following week as a backup if needed.  Held initial August TMI discussions with ATCSCC POCs, DDSO, ZJX TMO and ZMA TMO on May 3, 2021, at 11:00. Good discussion and coordinated biweekly meetings starting May 17, 2021. Goal is to come up with a plan that will protect the controllers without crippling the NAS. Meet with Flight Standards (AFS) and they no longer require the minimum crossing altitude at the initial fix (IF) on RNAV Radar departure procedures, so we are amending the procedure waivers as needed for no altitude at the initial departure fix (IDF) for our December 2, 2021, procedures. 

Held meeting with Second Level Engineering, MIST and FAST team to keep our finger on any issues with FAST as well as make sure the Time-Based Flow Management (TBFM) adaptation is being updated at each facility required. Jacksonville Center (ZJX) POCs were hoping to have the August 12, 2021 build in place May 10, 2021, to start getting SGET to build problems to start training May 17, 2021. It appears that it will be May 13, 2021, before they can start developing training problems. Post-implementation week work began. Work was done on TEAMS meetings. This type of meeting is best-done face to face. With long hours of design and late hours of paperwork, the fixed designs for the SID’s STAR’s and T-routes have been completed. A new LOA between Daytona beach (DAB) and Sky dive Deland was finished on May 12 with all parties.  

Las Vegas Metroplex  

Jeff Plendl is the Article 114 Representative for Las Vegas Metroplex.  

Background: The recommendation to include the Las Vegas area into a Metroplex was decided in a September 2009 Final Report from the Radio Technical Commission for Aeronautics (RTCA) Task Force 5. The report identified McCarran Airport (LAS) in Las Vegas as a Core airport and provided recommendations to optimize the airspace and procedures around Las Vegas. Subsequently, In May 2012 an Operational Study Team (OST) was formed. In August of 2017, a Design and Implementation (D&I) team was formed to address identified operational and efficiency issues. Design work continued through February 2019. Since then the Las Vegas Metroplex has been working through the Evaluation and Implementation phases of the project. Implementation date is currently scheduled for November 5, 2020.  

We are continuing to work on re-design issues and identified safety issues. We conducted another meeting with industry to discuss the BERBN connection issue and aircraft turning on the approach without a clearance. This has been very problematic, and aircrews are still turning on the approach despite prompting from Las Vegas (L30) controllers to fly the FM leg. We have inquired with the environmental specialists about using an RNAV SID out of LAS more often then we described to the communities. There has been resistance from the OSG for assistance, but I will keep pressing them. To mitigate the issue off of RWY08 we are designing a configuration specific RNAV SID, but we need to be able to use the current RNAV more often to bridge the gap. Yesterday we attended the Las Vegas Users Council (LUC) and addressed the GIDGT/RATPK SID and noise complaints form the Western Hills community. We stated we feel we have thoroughly briefed the workforce and industry of its intended usage and the number of commercial aircraft overflying this particular community is well within our projections. The LAS and L30 facilities will continue to do their part to only allow commercial aircraft to depart RWY19 when operationally necessary. LUC thanked us for our assistance on this matter.  

Jump to top of page