April 29, 2016 // WorkLife Wisdom: Using Your LifeMart Discount Center
Spring and summer can be a great time to experiment with new activities. Whenever two or more family members agree to try a new type of summer fun, that activity can become an anticipated part of the season in subsequent years. Some attempts at newness may flop, but others may stick and help your family bond while enjoying new traditions.
Using Your Discount Center for Family Fun
- Through your WorkLife Solutions program you and your family members have exclusive access to the Discount Center with pre-negotiated discounts on over three million products and services. On average, you can save 25 percent off the retail price of products and services found on the Discount Center. Check out discounts on entertainment including movie tickets and theme parks!
- Make shopping the Discount Center a regular part of your money-saving routine and save on the items you want most! There’s always another great reason to visit MagellanHealth.com/member!
- Go to www.MagellanHealth.com/member. After entering your toll-free number of 800-234-1327, click on Work-Life Tools, then LifeMart Discount Center.
Here are some ideas for low-cost summer fun:
- Try camping. Whether you stay in the backyard or head to the wilderness, there’s something special about camping together — at any age — on a summer night. Cook over a fire, tell stories, watch the stars and snuggle into sleeping bags at evening’s end. Camping creates lots of memories.
- Do picnics. Pack a meal, visit a local park, set out a blanket and enjoy your meal al fresco, surrounded by the beauty that is summer. Don’t rush; just enjoy each other’s company as you eat in a setting that’s very different from the usual. Play Frisbee or take a walk afterward.
- Have some water fun. While you may not live near a beach, scout around for a local body of water where you might swim, soak up the sun, go fishing, or paddle a boat, raft, or inner tube. This can give the family that mini-vacation feel without the travel hassles.
- Make dessert a weekly event. Pick a night of the week and make it “sweets night” every week (or at least most weeks) of the summer. Visit an ice cream shop, or create something delicious in your own kitchen. Eat it together outside and enjoy the sweetness of the summer night.
- Be active together. Plan to do some nature hikes as a group, or take family bike rides to new areas. Exploring together as a family is always a healthy activity. If you identify a favorite park for hiking or biking, return there several times over the summer, then into the fall as the seasons change.
- Do moon walks too. Take advantage of warm summer evenings and full moons to get everyone outside for long walks through the neighborhood. Everything familiar looks different at night, and the moonlight makes for a mystical milieu.
- Try backyard movie nights. Take your movie night outside for some unique summer fun. Use a projector and a screen, or just carry out the TV, laptop or tablet along with lots of popcorn and drinks. Kids will almost surely love this activity.
- Do one new thing together every summer. Challenge yourself to try one new activity each summer, preferably with the whole family. The sky’s the limit in terms of activities to choose. You could try painting, a martial arts or yoga class, horseback riding, snorkeling, canoeing, photography, or bocce ball.
Accessible 24/7, your FAA WorkLife Solutions Program offers many resources and services to help you and your family. Options available through the program include concierge services to help with everyday events needing your time and attention, child and elder care options, legal and financial services, in-person counseling, and much more. Call your program at 1-800-234-1327, TTY Users: 1-800-456-4006, or log on to www.MagellanHealth.com/Member to begin accessing these services today.